Sunday 8 November 2009

Why I Love the Undead

Halloween has come and gone, and so have the various monsters and fantastic creatures. There were werewolves, pirates, ninjas, mad scientists and (thanks to Twilight) plenty of vampires, groan. But I will always have a special place in my heart for the walking undead, the living impaired, the flesh eating hoard. You see, I love me some zombies.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking necrophilia. I don’t want to be a zombie, or have a zombie girlfriend or even have one of my friends become a zombie. To be more precise, I love KILLING zombies. Give me a shotgun, a chainsaw or even a trusty cricket bat and I’ll just go to town busting zombie heads.

You could probably tell this from looking at my windows media film genre list. I have action, horror, fantasy and zombie. Yes, that’s right, zombie films get their own genre. And it makes sense really considering all the zombie films I’ve seen/watched:

  • Night of the Living Dead (original)
  • Dawn of the Dead (original)
  • Land of the Dead
  • Diary of the Dead
  • Night of the Living Dead (remake)
  • Dawn of the Dead (remake)
  • Day of the Dead
  • The Zombie Diaries
  • Dead Set
  • Rec
  • Quarantine (American Rec remake)
  • Shaun of the Dead
  • Zombieland
  • 28 Days Later
  • 28 Weeks Later
  • Planet Terror
  • Resident Evil
  • Resident Evil: Apocalypse
  • Resident Evil: Extinction
  • Resident Evil: Degeneration

That is quite a list of zombie films, but don’t get me wrong, I didn’t like them all. Land of the Dead, which I refer to Zombie 90210, is quite dire! If I was going to talk about favourites, it’d be more like an awards ceremony:

Best Zombie Series – Dead Set
Best British Zombie Film – The Zombie Diaries
Best American Zombie Film – Dawn of the Dead (remake)
Best British Zombie Comedy – Shaun of the Dead
Best American Zombie Comedy – Zombieland
Best Zombie Film That’s Not Really About Zombies – 28 Days Later
Best Spanish Zombie Film – Rec

As you can see, I like me some undead films! I couldn’t just pick one as a favourite so I’d have to have a zombie night instead!

And then we have zombie games! First, I’m going to admit something. I’m a zombie fan and I have never played Resident Evil (bad zombie fan, bad). But one of my favourite games for playing with my girlfriend (who also loves zombie films) is the amazing Left4Dead (and Left4Dead 2, yay) It plays exactly how a zombie game should play. Shotguns? Check! Hoards? Check! Creepy moments of suspense and tension? Check check CHECK!

So yeah, in short, I love me some undead!

And remember, Bleep Bloop!

No comments:

Post a Comment