Thursday 5 November 2009

GamerPost #01 A Few of My Favourite Things

The one problem I have with reviewing games is that I never feel I complete them enough for my opinion to be reflective of the game. I rarely hit that fabled 100% (with the exception of Burnout Paradise, for which I have 101%, fuck yeah). But here I will instead talk about what I like in the games that I like, and look at upcoming games that fill me with glee.

First up, we have Rock Band 1/2, the series possibly being my favourite of any game IP. I don't need to explain to you what rock band is, but I may need to explain why it is so awesome to me. You see, it's all about that core tenant of play, imagination. Playing rock band is all about pretending you're a rock star, well it is at least for me. It's not about high scores and gold stars, it's about belting out tunes at the top of your voice, power sliding on your knees while you nail metal chords or wailing on the drums like an animal, or even like Animal. It's just so much damn pure fun that I can't stop playing it. Factor in the broad range of music that KEEPS ON GROWING! (I calculate I've spent, in 1 year, over £100 on downloadable songs) and you don't have a game, you have an entrainment

Next up, Left4Dead, which is easily one of the best zombie games released (better than Resident Evil imho). Although it lacks deep plot and you can easily play through all four original levels in as many hours, it's the replay value that keeps you from trading it in. I've lost count the number of times I've played left4dead late at night with Viv. It's that awesome. Factor in some great one liners in the voice acting along with some of the best zombie mechanics, you have a great horror game.

And finally, I am offering up some love to a shamefully underrated game by the name of Dead Space. This game was a victim of over hyping which meant that it couldn't live up to it in the end as everyone was expecting the perfect gaming experience. But it was a damn awesome game, truly scary and actually quite thrilling. I normal abhor games where you must conserve ammo and use fixed save points, but this was different. Factor in the clever tactical dismemberment system. Head shots are not fatal for the 'necromorphs', instead you must rend them limb from limb to turn them into pathetic lumps of flesh. Add the atmospheric space ship that not only is incredibly reminiscent of Event Horizon, and actually feels like the layout is plausible and well thought out.

No comments:

Post a Comment