Saturday 7 November 2009

GeekPost #02 The Dollhouse Edition

And in this post, we cover the entire first season of Joss Whedons Dollhouse, staring Eliza Dushku…

The relationship between me and Dollhouse wasn’t love at first sight. About 3 months ago, after reading favourable things about the series from various sites, I downloaded the first few episodes, starting with the unaired pilot, episode 00. I sat down and watched it, and wasn’t impressed. I deleted the remaining episodes and cancelled the torrent.

Fast-forward to about a month ago. I was bored and channel surfing when I noticed Dollhouse was showing on BBC four, and after finding out it was the first episodes, I thought I’d give it a second chance. This episode wasn’t the pilot I had seen (which is patently obvious, seeing as it was the unaired pilot) but instead the network episode #01. I sat down and was surprisingly impressed. The plot was entertaining and Eliza Dushku’s multi-role acting was quite impressive.

For those who haven’t watched/read anything about Dollhouse, the premise is thus. A corporation has access to a technology that allows the scanning, downloading and uploading of the human psyche, either whole or in parts divisible by memory, personality trait or emotional response. The corporation, operating out of the titular ‘Dollhouse’ uses this technology to fashion ‘Dolls’, individuals who have (mostly) volunteered for one reason or another for a five year period, into the perfect person for needs of the client. This could either be the kinkiest lover, the best hostage negotiator or even in one case, the older version of an abused girl who has managed to overcome the emotional baggage that the girl in question is still struggling with, serving as a role model of hope.

When not ‘active'’ on engagements, the dolls remain in a bliss state of childlike innocents, deprived of fears, complex emotions or other such burdens of normal day to day life. The series deals with the various engagements the dolls are sent on, the implications of alleged ‘voluntary slavery’ and the devolving complications of the dolls remerging personalities.

I really enjoyed this series, both for it’s episodic stories, normally following Dushku’s character Echo, and the ongoing plot. Dollhouse is cleverly and engagingly written and I am really looking forward to downloading and watching the second series.

Well, that’s all for now, who knows what I’ll post next.

And when there’s no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth

No comments:

Post a Comment