Saturday 7 November 2009

Web of Webs (2.0)

Last night, while trying to get to sleep, I realised how intensely complex my online presence truly was. Let me clarify. I have technically 4 social networking profiles; this blog Facebook, Twitter and Last.Fm. Now I also have three ways of accessing these networks; via the internet on a PC, via mobile apps or mobile internet on my N97 and via my Xbox (with the exception of this blog which I can’t access from my Xbox). I also have several complex relationships' between these blogs, including various updates, settings and pairings. It’s easiest for me to explain with the help of this useful flow chart I made



(Lines going from light to dark grey indicate direction of influence)





Now here’s how it works. I can access blogger, facebook, last.fm and twitter all from the internet on a PC, that’s fairly simple. Now I can also access these through the mobile browser on my phone, but in addition, I have apps for Facebook (n97 widget), Twitter (Tweets60) and last.fm (mobbler) which run in a more streamlined fashion. Then add the fact that I now can also access twitter, facebook and last.fm from my Xbox. Now here’s the complex part. When I make a new blog posts, it sends a tweet of the update. Twitter will then update my facebook status with my new tweet. Both my facebook status AND my tweet will then be displayed on their respective gadgets on my blog. Finally, my Xbox will also update my facebook status should I start playing a game (this can and probably will be disabled). I haven’t even factored in youtube, which I post both on facebook and will soon post on my blog.



Well wasn’t that fun kiddies?

No comments:

Post a Comment