Tuesday 22 February 2011

MMXI Week 7–MCM Telford 2011

So Saturday morning we woke up early, threw ourselves into Wessies car and begun the drive to Telford for MCM Midlands 2011. I had my costume in tow, which you may have already seen in parts. Here it is before I put it on:

IMAG0046

And here I am wearing it outside the International Center:

IMAG0176

The convention was an amazing experience, especially as it was my first time in Cosplay. Everyone was so nice and it was so weird having people ask to take my photo! I saw some amazing costumes including a Sonic team;

IMAG0168

Some amazing Bleach cosplay;

IMAG0165

And one of my favourite outfits, cardboard storm trooper;

IMAG0169

There were so many awesome costumes, so I’m going to have to do awards for three categories; video game, anime/manga and film/comic book. First, best video game cosplay:

Third Runner Up

IMAG0178

Medic, Heavy and Scout from Team Fortress 2

Second Runner Up

MCM Expo 2011 021(1)

Desmond and Two Altairs from Assassins Creed

First Runner Up

IMAG0160

Link and Midna from Twilight Princess

And First Place

IMAG0174

Faith from Mirrors Edge

I liked the Faith costume the most because of its simplicity and accuracy. She just looked the part naturally.

Now for the best anime/mange costumes:

Third Runner Up

MCM Expo 2011 012

Giselle from Enchanted

Second Runner Up

MCM Expo 2011 023

The Flash

First Runner Up

IMAG0194

The Goddamn Batman

And First Place

IMAG0186

Kick Ass from, well, Kick Ass.

Just an amazing costume that looks like he walked off set.

Finally, the best Anime/Manga cosplays.

Third Runner Up

IMAG0162

Grimmjow Jaggerjack from Bleach

Second Runner Up

IMAG0173

Sajin Komarmura, 7th Division Captain, from Bleach

First Runner Up

MCM Expo 2011 017

Nappa, Goku and Frieza from Dragon Ball Z

And First Place

IMAG0184

Super Sayan Goku from Dragon Ball Z

I loved this costume simply for the wig, it looks so perfect. He could have done without maybe so much foundation, but that’s just a minor complaint.

Aside from the costumes, there were some great stalls, including two Nintendo stands, one for the somewhat underwhelming 3DS, and another for various Nintendo games, which I didn’t really interact much with. The retailers were quite homogenous with a lot of the same stuff on sale at each stand. The two that stood out the most was the Spit Like This/Smell Your Mum t-shirt stand and the Magic the Gathering card stand, where I found these amazing cards to complete my Myrcraft deck:

IMAG0227

Can you see where I’m going with this?

That’s 3 Masters Call from Mirrodin Besieged, 2 Palladium Myr, 1 Myrsmith, 2 Myr Propagators and 4 Myr Galvanisers. I’ve been dying to get hold of these cards and they make for a devastating combo of infinite Myr tokens.

All in all, it was a fantastic day and I’m so glad I went. I enjoyed it even more that I was with Viv, Vinki and Wessie. Being in costume gave me a sense of belonging that I’ve not had before. I’m totally planning on going to MCM London in May, with some additions to my costume, I may even try my hand at the masquerade!

Here’s a youtube video of the pictures I took:

And you can see them all here on my Flickr stream.

No comments:

Post a Comment