Monday 13 September 2010

Back In The Saddle

Well, today was my first day of training for my new job as bar staff at the Gun Barrels scream pub in Birmingham. It was probably the best training session I’ve ever experienced, and I hope it’s a reflection of things to come. Here’s a little breakdown of what I did

  • Ice breaking session, including declaring most embarrasing moment.
  • Introduction of all the drink products they sell. There was A LOT!
  • Introduction to the range of food products. This included them actually bringing out some of the new dishes, which we GOT TO EAT! The Bulldog burger was especially good!
  • Basic till training, which wasn’t too bad. Hardest part will be remembering where all the options are on the screen.
  • How to pull my first pint. I went for strongbow, which I GOT TO DRINK AFTERWARDS. It was gooooood

All in all, it was a great day with some great people and I’m looking forward to my second session tomorrow.

On an unrelated note, I’m a little miffed at myself for doing something rather silly. While trying to organise some blog posts for cragcose that were to be moved over to my new dungeons and dragons blog, The D Twenty, I thought it would a good idea to do the following:

  1. Load draft of story that was 75% complete, that has taken me several hours to read
  2. Delete draft save file
  3. Save open copy as draft under new blog with new file name

What I didn’t realise is that Windows Live Writer doesn’t work like word, you can’t delete a save file of a document while the document is open, and then just save the open document as something new. Instead, it deletes everything from in front of your very eyes! I was stunned and shocked, even resorting to a system restore to try and recover it (it was also to fix a software installation that went a bit wrong), but that didn’t work. I’m in too minds about rewriting it as I’m worried what I redo won’t be as good, but we’ll see.

In the coming days I’ll be wrapping up my training and possibly starting my first shift. I was meant to be going to a good friends birthday party down in Guildford, but due to limited budget and possible first shift, I’m affraid I’m going to have to give it a miss. But luckily my girlfriend will be around for her birthday, which means I can do what I do best; showering her with love and attention and making a big deal out of her. I’m going to look up Chinese birthday traditions seeing as she wants a family thing (she’s Chinese) and make it something special.

No comments:

Post a Comment